Saturday 8 March 2014

Breath Filming Preperation - Underwater Footage

The final scenes of my thriller opening incorporates some underwater footage. This is meant to show a body being thrown into a lake. To do this, I got my hands on a waterproof case for my action camera. Unfortunately, finding a nearby lake was not as easy. This got me thinking, Instead of going to a lake, why not take the lake to us. And thats what I did. To simulate a river, I filled a large paddling pool full of water.


You may be thinking, that water looks dirty. In fact this was done on purpose. When initially filling up the pool, I figured that rivers are generally quite murky. At that point, the water was crystal clear. The solution? Gravy!


By dissolving 4 buckets full of gravy in the water, I was able to make the water have the brown tinge, common in rivers. Despite the hurdles I had to overcome my ambitious idea made the water a rather accurate simulation of a river. To test the underwater footage, I dropped my waterproof camera into the pool. This was the result.

No comments:

Post a Comment