Friday 7 March 2014

Breath Filming Preparation - Camera Equipment

To film my opening, there are three essential pieces of equipment; A DSLR, a waterproof camera and a Tripod. As filming approaches, I needed to make sure i met these requirements if nothing else. My DSLR camera, the Sony A37 I will be using to film the bulk of my opening. It is just over 16 megapixels and should provide plenty of depth and clarity to make my open in have the cinematic feel. Partnered up with a 18mm-55mm standard lens, I may also be using a 75mm-300mm lens for shots further away or ones which require a more eventuated depth of field. With this camera I will be shooting in 1080p full HD 30fps, in MP4 format rather than AVHD for editing convenience. 

                                     

For the action shots I will be using the Mobius action-cam. This camera is about the size of a Tic-Tac box and weighs at very little too. Despite its small stature, it too will shoot in 1080p 30fps. It can be attached via various mounts, including bike mounts, head mounts and various other ways to attach it to pretty much anything. I will be using some of these mounts to achieve some particularly challenging shots in my thriller, as it is capable of what DSLR's are not. In the picture below it is also wearing its waterproof case, which makes it withstand up to 30 meters of water. This is perfect for my thrillers finale, where it will get thrown into a pool of water.


Finally, I will be using my own tripod. Like the DSLR itself, it is also Sony, and will come in very handy when keeping the camera stable. The tripod incorporates a built-in remote on the handle, which allows me to stop and start recording or adjust the zoom without touching and potentially jogging the camera. It uses a universal tripod mount compatible with both my Sony and Mobius cameras.


No comments:

Post a Comment